The increased demand for certified welders has generated a need to offer in-depth training and lab experiences necessary for the development of combination and advanced welding skills required for certification in multiple areas. The Welding Technology program is designed to meet those objectives. Students will be trained in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), and Pipe Welding.
The Welding program is taught by an instructor who is a certified American Welding Society (AWS) Welder, Educator, and Inspector. Students who successfully accomplish welding skills in accordance with established proficiency standards will be eligible to earn various American Welding Society certifications.
We offer three levels of completion in Welding as follows:
- Certificate of Proficiency – Welding
- Technical Certificate – Welding Technology
- Associate of Applied Science Degree – General Technology
Student Learning Outcomes:
Successful completers of this program will be able to:
- demonstrate proper oxy-fuel cutting process (OFC), and torch adjustments, with emphasis on safety.
- demonstrate the ability to produce sound and discontinuity-free welds, with the Shielded Metal Arc process (SMAW) in the 1G, 2G, 3G, and 4G positions.
- demonstrate the ability to produce quality welds in all positions using the Gas Metal Arc process (GMAW).
- demonstrate the ability to produce quality welds in all positions using the Gas Tungsten Arc process (GTAW).
- demonstrate the ability to produce sound and discontinuity-free welds on pipe using both the SMAW and STAW process in the 2G, 5G, and 6G positions.
Graduation Requirements (Suggested Schedule)
|Course Title||Credit Hours|
|WELD||1215||*SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding)||*5|
|WELD||1401||*Welding Lab I||*1|
|MAT||1203||Technical Mathematics OR higher-level mathematics course||3|
|EXIT: Certificate of Proficiency - Welding *11 credit hours|
|(Note: If student plans to continue he/she should also complete WELD 1103 and MAT 1203 as outlined above.)|
|WELD||1315||GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding)||5|
|WELD||1415||GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding)||5|
|WELD||1501||Welding Lab II||1|
|COM||1203||Technical Communication OR Higher-level composition course||3|
|CFA||1103||Tech Computer Fundamentals OR Higher-level computer course||3|
|Summer I Term|
|EXIT: Technical Certificate – Welding Technology||37|