Steps for Securing a Teaching Position
- Submit two original undergraduate transcript(s), indicating bachelor’s degree completion, to the Graduate Coordinator. These transcripts are in addition to the original transcripts given to the University of Arkansas at Monticello Office of Admissions.
- Submit passing Praxis II score(s) in your content area to the Graduate Coordinator. Visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/ar/requirements for information about Praxis II exam requirements for Arkansas.
- Complete the FBI/Arkansas State Police background check and the Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry release form. These forms are available at the Graduate Coordinator. Background checks must be less than one year old at the time of licensure application. Submit these documents with your payment by following the directions on the forms.
- Complete the following Arkansas IDEAS mandatory professional development workshops: 1) Suspicion of Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter and 2) Youth Suicide Prevention (see separate document titled “Arkansas IDEAS” for steps for completing training)
Once the above documents have been submitted, you will receive a letter from the Graduate Coordinator that indicates you are eligible for a provisional license, pending a district’s offer to hire you. NOTE: A school district must agree to hire you before you can actually receive a provisional license. School districts understand this requirement. Once a school district hires you, you must complete the appropriate paperwork as follows:
- Present the letter of hire provided by the Graduate Coordinator to the district that is hiring you to be signed. Return the signed form to the Graduate Coordinator.
Once all of these required materials are submitted, the Graduate Coordinator will forward this information to the Office of Licensure at the Arkansas Department of Education. Your provisional license should be mailed in three to six weeks.