How to refer a student to counseling:
- Remind the student that counseling services are at no costs to currently enrolled
- Reassure the student that recognizing a problem and reaching out for help are signs
of maturity and strength, not weakness.
- Allow the student to use your phone to make the phone call with the counseling center
and stay with the student during the initial contact; or, you may offer them the opportunity
to make the call privately.
- Offer to walk the student over to the UAM Counseling Center.
- Communicate your positive feelings about the student’s decision to seek counseling.
If you are concerned about a student’s behavior or overall well-being, you may also
put in a Person Of Concern Report.