Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education program prepares individuals for entering occupations in the childcare field. Successful graduates of this one-year Technical Certificate program will be prepared to take advantage of opportunities such as the following: a classroom assistant in a private childcare center or nursery school; a classroom assistant in a Head Start or public school preschool classroom; a paraprofessional working with children with special needs; or as preparation for continuation of an early childhood education in a four-year institution.
The program combines classroom study and lab experience with infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Through this curriculum individuals gain an understanding of the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth and development of young children. Students will learn to use materials, supplies, and equipment found in childcare situations through their classroom and laboratory experiences. The one-year Technical Certificate program also includes two Practicum classes which require students to work in the childcare field for credit.
We offer three levels of certification in the Early Childhood Education program:
- Certificate of Proficiency – Childhood Development Associate
- Technical Certificate – Early Childhood Education
- Associate of Applied Science Degree – General Technology
Student Learning Outcomes
Successful completers of this program will be able to:
- Plan a safe, healthy learning environment.
- Advance children’s physical and intellectual development.
- Implement positive strategies to support children’s social and emotional development.
- Establish productive relationships with families.
- Implement strategies to manage an effective program operation.
- Maintain a commitment to professionalism.
- Be familiar with a variety of observing and recording techniques to document children’s development.
- Understand and apply principles of child growth and development
Graduation Requirements (Suggested Schedule)
|Course Title||Credit Hours|
|Summer II Term|
|MAT||1203||Technical Mathematics (or higher-level math course)||3|
|ECED||1071||*Introduction to Practicum||1|
|ECED||1053||*Environments in Early Childhood||3|
|ECED||1063||*Foundations of Early Childhood Education||3|
|HOEC||2153||Tech Child Development||3|
|HOEC||1113||Tech Curriculum Development for Infants and Toddlers||3|
|CFA||1103||Tech Computer Fundamentals (or higher-level computer course)||3|
|HOEC||2013||Tech Literary & Language for Early Childhood Education||3|
|HOEC||2073||Tech Child Guidance||3|
|HOEC||2033||Tech Child Care Practicum II||3|
|HOEC||2023||Tech Math and Science In Early Childhood||3|
|COM||1203||Technical Communications (or higher-level composition course)||3|
|ECED||1043||*Development and Curriculum in Early Childhood||3|
|* Denotes courses required for Certificate of Proficiency - Childhood
Development Associate (12 credit hours total)
|Summer I Term|
|HOEC||2143||Tech Childcare Program Planning||3|
|HOEC||2173||Tech Children with Special Needs||3|
|EXIT: Technical Certificate – Early Childhood Education||45|