What is Counseling, and Do I Need It?
Counseling is a confidential process in which students share current or past issues that are hindering overall wellness and academic success. Students are seen as the experts of their own lives, and the counselor provides active listening, empathy, and unconditional positive regard without judgment. The counselor listens without trying to “fix” you. It’s a time for students to self-focus, learn and implement coping skills and strategies, and gain insight to negative thinking and behavior patterns that prevent resiliency and independence.
A range of issues that Counseling Services may be helpful with include:
- conflict resolution
- problem solving
- feeling stressed out or anxious
- difficulty adjusting
- have something you have never told anyone but feel you should
- received counseling in the past and considering services again
- binge drink or use drugs
- eating too much or too little
- feel as though you can’t go on
- relationship issues
What Can I Expect in Counseling?
Should you choose to receive Counseling Services, you can expect the following:
- During initial appointments and the intake process, the counselor will ask questions to get to know you better and your personal goals for counseling.
- It is O.K. to ask the counselor questions. If you want more information or clarification, make sure to ask.
- Share with the counselor if you need to leave the session early. Otherwise, appointments can be 30-50 minutes in length, depending on the issue.
- Services are confidential unless you share with the counselor that you have a plan to harm yourself or others, are aware of child or elder adult abuse or neglect, if a judge signs a subpoena ordering your records, or if you sign a release of information.
- Homework is often assigned for students to accomplish between sessions.
- Your counselor reserves the right to reschedule your appointment if you are 15 minutes late or continually do not show for appointments.
- UAM Counseling services are available to enrolled students at no charge.