Welcome to the University Counseling Center
The University Counseling Center is located on the second floor of Harris Hall, Room 223. Counseling services are provided at no cost to students currently attending the University of Arkansas at Monticello. Sessions are typically available Monday – Friday, during the hours of 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Appointments can be made during these times in person or by phone at (870) 460-1554. Sessions are typically 50 minutes in length, and drop-in counseling sessions are also generally available to accommodate students experiencing emergency or crisis situations.
The primary mission of UAM’s Counseling Services is to promote student wellness for successful pursuit of educational and life goals, to enhance mental health and quality of life, and to improve wellbeing by providing professional and confidential services delivered through individual and group sessions. To accomplish its mission, the Counseling Services has a well-developed set of goals that are consistent with the mission of the University.
- Provide a warm, welcoming, empathetic, and easily accessible counseling experience
- Provide counseling services to students who may be experiencing psychological, emotional, or behavioral difficulties
- Provide students with crisis intervention and post-trauma support when needed
- Provide programming focusing upon the common needs of college students, which will maximize their potential to benefit from the academic environment
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff including in-service training programs and educational workshops
Programs are planned by the Counseling Services Office each semester. These programs are advertised campus-wide. Among the topics are:
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress Management
- Relationship Issues
People seek counseling services for many different reasons. The concerns may range from anxiety or difficulty coping to dysfunctional relationships or trauma. A full-time licensed mental health professional is available to students to assist with varying general mental health concerns in a professional and confidential setting. Referrals are also provided as needed.
Emily Stell, LAC, NCC
Harris Hall Room 223
P.O. Box 3458
Monticello, AR 71656
Dana Williams, LCSW Interim