• Is the program online?

While the program is 100% online and does meet the Arkansas established guidelines for an online program. The MAT program prepares teachers to work with students in a K-12 school setting. Working with students is a complex, rich, and rewarding experience that requires human interaction.  

  • How do I apply? What are the requirements for acceptance into the program?

Please visit the MAT Admission Requirements page on our website. 

  • When can I enter the program?

Candidates are accepted as a cohort group once a year in June. 

  • Is there a minimum GPA to be accepted into the MAT program?

Yes. The MAT program requires a 2.7 cumulative GPA or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of your coursework. If you do not meet the GPA requirements there could be other options for you. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator for that information.  

  • What options do I have for licensure in the program?

You may choose one of the following options for licensure:

    1. Middle Childhood (grades 4-8) - it is possible to license in up to 4 content areas (math, science, English, and social studies). You must pass the Praxis test for at least 2 of these 4 areas.
    2. Secondary (grades 7-12/P-12) - The options for secondary licensure include areas like English, Business, Social Studies, Math, Life Science, Physical Science and so forth. For a complete listing of secondary areas, please refer to the ADE listing.
  • Do I have to take the GRE? What about Praxis Core vs. GRE? When do I have to complete these testing requirements?

The tests you are required to take for admission into the MAT program are listed on the attachment labeled Praxis Exams. The Graduate Coordinator will accept either the GRE or Praxis Core exams. It is our recommendation that you take the Praxis Core exams. You may take up to 6 hours of coursework before submitting passing test scores under conditional admittance; however, you will not be eligible for financial aid until you do submit passing scores. 

  • What is a provisional license?

A provisional license is a teaching license that allows you to be hired as and work as a teacher in Arkansas while you are still in the MAT program and completing the MAT program requirements. For information on the Provisional license, see the Provisional Licensure page on our website. 

  • Does the UAM School of Education find a job for me?

No. The School of Education will send your name and contact information to area schools and will provide you with information about job opening as the schools notify us. For additional information on securing a teaching position, see the Steps to Securing a Teaching Position page on our website. 

  • How much will the MAT program cost?

For the most up-to-date information on tuition and fees, please see the Office of Admission Application Packet.

  • Will this program license me in states other than Arkansas?

No. Every state controls their own licensing requirements. However, once you have a license in Arkansas, you can apply for reciprocity to other states for a transfer of your license.