State Authorization

The University of Arkansas at Monticello delivers online programs and courses throughout the United States. All programs have been approved by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. Many states have prescribed an “authorization” process for out-of-state institutions delivering online programs to its state residents to ensure quality post-secondary education, to preserve the integrity of an academic degree, and to instill greater consumer protection for its student citizens.

The University of Arkansas at Monticello has taken steps to protect its students and operations through nationwide compliance: by participation in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) or confirming that UAM can operate without such authorization because the state’s laws do not pertain to a public institution.

NC-SARA logo

As of September 26, 2015, the University of Arkansas at Monticello, is approved by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Institutions that are members of SARA are authorized to provide online education to students from all SARA member states.  States and institutions that choose to become members of SARA operate under a set of policies and standards overseen by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and administered by four regional higher education compacts.   For more information about the SARA initiative and the progress of state and institutional membership.

Licensure Programs

The University of Arkansas at Monticello offers the following licensure programs completely online:

Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Master of Education Leadership (MEd)
Master of Education – Special Education Track
K-12 SPED Endorsement
K-6 SPED Resource Endorsement
7-12 SPED Resource Endorsement

While the curriculum for these programs meets licensure requirements for the state of Arkansas, UAM has not determined whether the curriculum for any of these programs meets the educational requirements for licensure in other states. Students enrolled in these programs are only approved to participate in field experiences and/or clinical internship within the state of Arkansas.

Each state and territory have different professional licensure and certification requirements. Other licensure requirements may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc.

Students interested in obtaining a teaching license in another state should check with the applicable licensing authority in that state to ensure that UAM’s program meets the state's education requirements for eligibility for licensure. Contact information for state departments of education can be found on the U.S. Department of Education website.

Prospective and current students should also keep in mind that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether they can continue in the course, meet the eligibility requirements of that state, and/or receive financial aid funding. Students considering relocation during their academic program are encouraged to contact Kim Level, dean for school of education.

Student Grievance Procedures

UAM works diligently to find positive outcomes to student concerns. Please try to exhaust all possible internal avenues of complaint resolution outlined in your Student Handbook before going outside the university.

If a grievance cannot be resolved internally within the university, a student may file a complaint with the appropriate authority in his/her state of residence. 

Arkansas residents must file complaints in writing with the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE), 423 Main Street, Suite 400, Little Rock, AR 72201, within 20 days of completing the institution’s grievance process. The form at this link should be used.

For other states, students may file a complaint with the appropriate agency within their state or contact the Higher Learning Commission, which is the university's regional accrediting body, at or 1-800-621-7440.