Academic Recovery Program

The Academic Recovery Program is designed to equip students who have experienced academic difficulty with the information and tools they need to return to good academic standing. If you have been placed on academic suspension, conditional academic standing, residential denial or financial aid denial, we can help you design a plan to get back on track.

The academic recovery process is guided by professional academic advisors. Students are assigned to work one-on-one with a professional advisor through the academic recovery process. Professional academic advisors help by:

  • Providing an accurate assessment of your current academic situation.
  • Offering you guidance in developing a personally relevant academic plan.
  • Connecting you to other available campus resources.

Students participating in academic recovery are typically expected to:

  • Attend all scheduled classes.
  • Check UAM email and Blackboard frequently.
  • Develop an academic success plan that will guide goal setting and track goal attainment.
  • Meet with a professional academic advisor several times throughout the semester to discuss progress and challenges.
  • Attend academic skills development workshops.
  • Complete other tasks identified as necessary by the recovery plan.

Once a student returns to good academic standing (term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher), he/she is typically not required to continue in the academic recovery program. However, a student may participate on a voluntary basis if he/she desires additional assistance in achieving his/her academic goals.

While the Academic Recovery Program is designed to help you succeed, you must remember that you are solely responsible for your success or failure. Success in this program requires your dedication to following direction and hard work inside and outside of the classroom. Participation in this program does not guarantee financial aid reinstatement.

For more information about UAM's Academic Recovery Program, please contact Carrie Johnson at or (870) 460-1633.