MONTICELLO, AR — Tailgate parties, reunions, a golf tournament, parade and football game highlight a wide variety of events and activities at the University of Arkansas at Monticello as UAM celebrates Homecoming 2017 October 14-21.
The celebration begins on Saturday, October 14 with the UAM Alumni and Friends Golf Tournament, a four-person scramble at DeSoto Golf Course in Hot Springs Village. The entry fee is $300 per team or $75 per player and includes green fees and cart. The tournament begins at 9 a.m. with a shotgun start.
Homecoming Week 2017 kicks off on campus with student activities Monday through Wednesday. A Spirit Wall painting contest and picnic on the grounds will be held Monday, October 16 near the Centennial Clock Tower. Big Money Bingo is scheduled for Tuesday, October 17 at 7 pm. in the John F. Gibson University Center and a comedy show is set for Wednesday, October 18 at 6 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center.
A beam signing for the Student Success Center and ribbon cutting ceremony for the Learning Commons of the Taylor Library and Technology Center will be held October 18. University officials and dignitaries will sign a beam at the construction site at 2 p.m. and hold a ribbon cutting ceremony at 2:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons of the Taylor Library and Technology Center. Scheduled speakers for the event include UA System President Donald Bobbitt, State Senator Eddie Cheatham and UAM Chancellor Karla Hughes.
The UAM Sports Hall of Fame induction banquet will be held Thursday, October 19 at 6 p.m. in the University Center. Tickets are $40 a person and may be purchased by calling the Department of Athletics at (870) 460-1058.
Later that evening, alumni and friends are invited to join students at Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium for bed races and a pep rally beginning at 8 p.m.
A Homecoming Celebration for Alumni and Friends, including an informal dinner and introduction of the 2017 Alumni Award for Achievement and Merit recipients, is scheduled for Friday, October 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the University Center.
A full slate of activities is scheduled for Saturday, October 21, including:
• A&M/UAM African-American Alumni Reunion Breakfast, 9 a.m., Capitol Room of the University Center;
• Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority Reunion Breakfast, 9 a.m., University Center Gallery Room;
• Homecoming Queens Reunion Brunch, 10 a.m., University Center Green Room;
• Welcome to UAM Alumni Tent, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Reunion, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• UAM Band and Music Reunions, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity Reunion, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Walk of Champions and Homecoming Parade, 12:30 p.m., Tailgate Row;
• Pre-game Ceremony, including introduction of 2017 Homecoming Court and coronation of Queen, 2:30 p.m., Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium;
• Kickoff of Homecoming football game, UAM vs. Southern Nazarene, 3 p.m., Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium.
For more information, contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at (870) 460-1028.
- 30 -