MONTICELLO, AR — The University of Arkansas at Monticello will celebrate its 108th birthday with a campus celebration April 3 at 12 noon in the Taylor Library and Technology Center.
The event will include a presentation on the history of UAM by Mary Heady, special collections and reference librarian, as well as refreshments and displays representing the university's student organizations.
The school that would eventually become UAM was created on April 1, 1909 with the passage of Act 100 by the Arkansas General Assembly which created four district agricultural schools in Monticello, Jonesboro, Magnolia and Russellville. Those schools would become UAM, Arkansas State University, Southern Arkansas University and Arkansas Tech University.
Known originally as the Fourth District Agricultural School, UAM opened its doors for classes on September 14, 1910. In 1928 the school received junior college accreditation and changed its name to Arkansas A&M College. Arkansas A&M began offering baccalaureate degrees in the 1930s and received accreditation as a four-year institution in 1940.
On July 1, 1971, Arkansas A&M merged with the University of Arkansas System to become the University of Arkansas at Monticello.
For more information about the 108th birthday celebration, contact Dr. Rick Clubb, dean of the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, at (870) 460-1047.
- 30 -