AGRO 3503, Wheat: introduction, classification, growth. Unit IV-1, 20 pts.
NOTE: Use the following links to find solutions to the questions below:
1. There are how many species of Triticum?
A. 5 B. 10 C. 15 D. 30
2. Wheat was probably first cultivated in:
A. Africa B. Asia
C. the Middle East D. Mexico
3. Common wheat is Triticum:
A. aestivum B. timopheevi
C. polonicum D. boeotictim
4. The ‘glumes’ of wheat are the:
A. stigmas B. compressed ovaries
C. awns D. lemma and palea
5. Wheat bran comprises about:
A. 2% of kernel wt. B. 12% of kernel wt.
C. 22% of kernel wt. D. 45% of kernel wt.
6. Pasta is made from the flour of:
A. duram wheat B. common wheat
C. Persian wheat D. Italian wheat
7. Which of these wheat subspecies is the most primitive?
A. club B. Emmer
C. Durum D. common
8. Winter wheat accounts for how much of total wheat production?
A. 20-30% B. 50-60% C. 60-70% D. 70-80%
9. The most wheat produced in the U.S. is:
A. soft red winter B. hard red winter
C. hard red spring D. hard white
10. The newest class of wheat in the U.S. is:
A. soft red winter B. hard white
C. hard red winter D. durum
11. A tiller is a shoot that originates at the:
A. coleoptilar node B. secondary root
C. leaf axil D. rhizome
12. Phenoxy herbicides should be applied to wheat during growth stages:
A. 1-2 B. 5-6 C. 8-9 D. 10-12
13. The flag leaf becomes visible at growth stage:
A. 2 B. 5 C. 8 D. 12
14. The flag leaf contributes about how much C to the seeds?
A. 100% B. 50% C. 75% D. 25%
15. Grain fill in wheat occurs in about:
A. 5-10 days B. 40-50 days C. 13-20 days D. 7-13 days
16. The best time to apply N fertilizer is at growth stage:
A. 1 B. 2 C. 5 D. 9
17. What can be done to encourage more tiller production in thin stands?
A. foliar K fertilizer B. planting earlier
C. late winter/early spring N applications D. spraying 2,4-D
18. What should a wheat grower consider when making the decision as to whether or not
the application of a foliar fungicide is needed?