AGRO 3503, Grain Sorghum, Part 2, Section II-5. (20 pts)
DIRECTIONS. Print out the quiz first, then search the links to find the information to answer the questions on grain sorghum production in the Mid-South.
1. Grain sorghum’s productivity potential is relatively stable compared to other crops
such as corn and soybeans because:
A. it is more drought tolerant
B. it has fewer insect and disease pests
C. there are more high yielding hybrids available to plant
D. it can fix it’s own N from the soil
2. Which of these grain sorghum weeds is almost impossible to control with
herbicides in grain sorghum?
A. barnyardgrass B. johnsongrass
C. Palmer amaranth D. morningglory species
3. If you have a heavy clay soil, which of these grain sorghum hybrids looks best?
A. Asgrow A571 B. Terral TV-1050
C. Pioneer 5434 D. FFR 333
4. The optimum time to plant grain sorghum corresponds with the optimum time to
A. soybeans B. wheat
C. rice D. cotton
5. The average yield of grain sorghum hybrids tested in the 2001 MS trails was:
A. 95.1 bu/ac B. 110.4 bu/ac
C. 124.4 bu/ac D. 154.6 bu/ac
6. The boot stage of grain sorghum is:
A. Stage 4 B. Stage 5
C. Stage 6 D. Stage 8
7. About 75% of grain sorghum grain dry weight has accumulated by:
A. about 85 days after emergence B. Stage 7
C. 65 days after emergence D. Stage 6
8. Control of whorlworm infestations is critical for:
A. plants in the boot stage B. when plants are flowering
C. prior to plant emergence D. on young plants < 15 in tall
9. Which of these pesticides would be recommended for control of the greenbug aphid?
A. Karate B. alachlor
C Diphel D. Lorsban
10. Buildups of chinch bugs in sorghum may occur:
A. in cool, wet weather early in the season
B. in hot, dry weather early in the season
C. in hot, dry weather late in the season
D. in hot, humid weather during flowering
11. Sorghum is susceptible to midge fly damage only:
A. when plants are < 15 in tall
B. during hot, dry weather
C. at night
D. during the bloom period
12. Sorghum midge reproduction is enhanced by:
A. pyrethoid insecticides B. uneven plant emergence
C. cool, wet weather D. barnyardgrass weed infestations
13. Recommended planting rates for dryland sorghum systems are about:
A. 4 – 5 lbs seed per acre B. 5 – 10 lbs seed per acre
C. 90,000 – 120,000 seeds per acre D. 30,000 – 40,000 seeds per acre
14. Nearly the entire yield potential of irrigated sorghum can be attained by timing
A. once a week B. until leaves just begin to curl
C. just at pre-boot and during bloom D. at night
15. Compared to corn, in what situations would grain sorghum be a better crop?
See the link on WEED CONTROL to answer the following. You will need Adobe Acrobat reader (available free).
16. Proper seed protectants (safeners) should be used with which two herbicides?
A. atrazine, linuron B. Dual, Lasso
C. Outlook, atrazine D. linuron, 2,4-D
17. Which of the following herbicide programs provides the broadest spectrum of weed
control in grain sorghum?
A. Permit B. Peak
C. alachlor + atrazine D. bentazon + 2,4-D