AGRO 3503, Rice introduction – Unit II-1. Notes and quiz. (20 pts)
Rice is the staple food for roughly 2/3 of the world’s population. New archaeological findings suggest that rice was cultivated over 8000 years ago! Rice is a warm season annual, although some perennial types exist in Asia. Two major groups of rice exist:
1. Oryza sativa, var. indica – taller, thinner stalked, mostly long-grained
types produced in the southern states,
2. Oryza sativa, var. japonica – mostly short and medium grained types
produced primarily in California. Asian markets prefer these types.
Over 8000 varieties of rice exist! Three main ecotypes of rice are cultivated:
1. lowland – the most common, grown in flooded paddies.
2. upland – grown in high elevations in benched paddies.
3. deepwater – rice grown in flood regions of monsoon areas such as
Bangladesh. These types of rice can grow in water over 6 ft deep!!!
Find out more about rice from the link below and answer the following questions.
1. Rice is the staple food for ___ of the world’s population.
A. 1/3 B. 1/2 C. 2/3 D. 3/4
2. Rice that has almost round kernels that cling together when worked are:
A. short grain B. long grain
C. medium grain D. aromatic
3. Wild rice is:
A. a short grain biotype B. an indica hybrid
C. an extra-long grain type D. not rice at all, an aquatic grass
4. Rough rice is:
A. broken kernels B. completely cooked brown rice
C. unbroken kernels D. kernels still in the hull
5. A whole kernel of rice is defined as kernels of rice which are:
A. 1/2 length or greater B. 3/4 length or greater
C. completely unbroken or scratched D. kernels still within the hulls
6. Cultivation of rice in southwestern Louisiana began around:
A. 1726 B. 1680 C. 1920 D. 1884
7. The ‘sheller’ machine in a rice mill produces:
A. rough rice B. brown rice
C. parboiled rice D. polished rice
8. In modern day rice cultivation, fertilizers and crop protectants are applied:
A. from buggy applicators controlled by computers
B. as seed treatments to hybrid varieties
C. in the soil prior to planting
D. from the air using GPS technology
9. About ___% of rice consumed in the U.S. is produced within its borders.
A. 25% B. 50% C. 90% D. 100%
10. The largest rice producing state in the U.S. is:
A. AR B. LA C. TX D. CA