One of the oldest buildings on the campus of the University of Arkansas at Monticello is getting a facelift.
Willard Hall, a two-story red brick structure built in 1912 as a dormitory and home to UAM’s
school of Education in recent years, is receiving $1.15 million in improvements as part of the first phase of a campus master plan to update and beautify the campus.
Renovations are being made to make the structure more energy efficient and to meet Americans With Disabilities Act requirements.
The renovation calls for the removal of all window unit air conditioners and steam heating units. The building will receive new windows and be added to the university-wide district cooling system, which provides central heat and air. A new elevator and stairwells will be added to make the second floor accessible to persons with disabilities.
The changes we’re making are going to result in a significant energy savings,” said Mark Davis, vice chancellor for finance and administration. “This is a historic building that goes back to the very beginnings of the institution and we wanted to make it a viable part of the campus for years to come.”
The project is being financed in part by general improvement funds for the district cooling system with the remainder from university sources. Batson Engineering of Little Rock and Wilkins Construction of North Little Rock are supervising the project.
Other minor renovations and touch-up work will be done in-house, according to Davis, including flooring work, painting, and improving classroom space.
Have a comment? Please e-mail us.
© The Voice 2005
Revised 09/17/2007 01:46:45 PM http://www.uamont.edu/Organizations/TheVoice/3_1/willard.html